Sunday, November 18, 2012

Class Summary 11.15.12

Sadly, I missed history class, due to a field trip in Environmental Science. However, in my depravity of history, we stumbled upon the cabin that inspired Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin, on our walk. A major coincidence as Stowe was my historic figure featured in my VoiceThread. Goes to show, history is all around us!

 Today, after reviewing the Missouri Compromise, we focused on the tensions that rose after the Mexican War and the dispute over what would happen to the land they had gained from Mexico. There were many options and many opinions. I sided with the group that thought that the land should be returned back to Mexico. Since no agreement could be made nothing was done and the festering issue of slavery was left to worsen, and a country even more divided. In 1850, the country faced a crisis. California wanted to become a free state but that would upset the balance in congress, thus the Compromise of 1850 was presented. Once again no conclusion could be reached, but later on each of the provisions were passed as separate bills. 

I am back to my previous dilemma of possessing large amounts of positivity towards others and their abilities but straining to find the same for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment