Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Westward Expansion

On Monday, we began our work on our 16% project. About one day every cycle we will work on our designated project we got to choose from the smithsonian classroom. By the end of the term, we will submit our work to the smithsonian for credit and then present our findings to the class. I choose the project about water water use called H20 hero, and greatly look forward to working on it.

Yesterday in class we had a simulation of what it would be like to live in a soddie. It was great, the activity was engaging and very interactive. There were three stations in which we got to experience the spacing of a soddie, one where we got first hand knowledge of the smell and lastly what it was like to pose for a time-lapse photo. After my round through the stations I reached the conclusion that I would not be able to live in the soddie with my entire family. It was very small and the smell was intolerable. I would definitely not have been suited for the move to the great frontier. I really loved how it allowed us to experience somewhat of what it would have been like.

Today we were split up into groups and were set to the task of researching a farming invention that allowed the farmers to more successfully harvest the land in the west. It was our job to create a presentation that would convince an investor to back our product as if first introducing it on the great frontier. My group got the reaper and I look forward to learning about the other inventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment